Services offered by
City of Citrus Heights

File a Police Report
Disabled Access
Submit a Public Records Request

Services offered by
County of Sacramento

Find services from the County agencies of County of Sacramento

Services offered by
State of California

Find services provided by the State agencies for all its residents

Frequently asked questions from City of Citrus Heights

How do I obtain a public record?

Featured in Submit a Public Records Request, City of Citrus Heights

 Contact the City Clerk’s Office and give them as much information about what you’re looking for as possible. Visit the Public Records page for more information. 

What if I cannot afford to pay for a traffic citation from the Sacramento County?

Featured in Pay for Traffic Citation, County of Sacramento

If you cannot afford to pay the fine, you may appear in person and request to perform community service in lieu of the fine at your arraignment date (date listed on your citation). If your case qualifies and your request for community service is granted, you may be required to pay court fees as well as community service registration and daily fees. The registration and daily fees for community service are based on your ability to pay. 

Community service placements are handled by the Sacramento County Sheriff's Department. There are a variety of assignments available for all education levels and physical limitations. Flexible schedules and hours may also be available. Please note that you cannot be sentenced to community service and Traffic Violator School on the same case.

Can I make a partial payment?

Featured in Pay Property Taxes, County of Sacramento

Partial payments are not accepted by the Sacramento County Tax Office and will be returned for the correct amount due. 

What are other options to pay my Sacramento County Property tax bill?

Featured in Pay Property Taxes, County of Sacramento

Payments may be mailed, made online, or made or in person at the Sacramento County Tax Collector's Office located at 700 H Street, Suite 1710.

Pay by Mail:

Payments by  check, money order, or cashier's check may be mailed.  Payment should be made payable to "Sacramento County" and show the mailing address of the payer and also the parcel number as shown on the tax bill. Return the appropriate stub with your payment. If you are paying two installments, please include both installment payment stubs from your tax bill. You must include the correct payment stub.  If you send the incorrect stub, your payment may be returned and you may be subject to penalties. 

When you provide a check as payment, you authorize us either to use information from your check to make a one-time electronic fund transfer from your account or to process the payment as a check transaction. Submit your payment in the envelope provided with your tax bill as it is color coded to assist in processing your payment timely.

If you do not have an envelope or a tax bill, you may still mail your payment for secured and personal property taxes to:
Sacramento County Tax Collector, P.O. Box 508, Sacramento, CA 95812-0508.

Bill Pay:

If you use your bank’s Online Bill Pay service, a paper check will be printed and mailed to the Tax Collector. Because the check is sent without a payment stub, for payment identification, please enter in the online account number field the bill number and installment being paid. Examples: 17123456 first, 17654321 second, or 17456123 both.

Your payment is considered received on the date appearing on the check received from the Payment Processing Center. Payments dated after the pay by date will be considered late and returned for penalties. Partial payments are not accepted and will be returned.

Pay by Phone:

Payments for Secured Property Tax Bills and Unsecured Property Tax Bills for real property may also be paid by Credit Card over the telephone by calling 1-844-430-2823. Prior year delinquent taxes cannot be paid over the telephone.

Phone congestion may be high when attempting to use the 844 number. To avoid penalties, the transactions made by this method must be completed before midnight on the deadline date listed on your property tax bill. Telephone transactions may take approximately 10 to 12 minutes to complete per parcel. There is no guarantee implied by the County or the contractor that you will be able to get through on the 844 line. Transactions made for the wrong amount or after the deadline will be returned and penalties will be charged. Partial payments cannot be accepted.

Pay In-Person:

In addition to payments by check, money order, or cashier's check, we also accept cash and credit or debit cards at the Sacramento County Tax Collector office.

Cards accepted are: American Express Card, Discover Card, MasterCard and Master Money debit cards, or Visa, Visa Check Card, and Visa debit card. 

Can I pay my property taxes monthly?

Featured in Pay Property Taxes, County of Sacramento

The Sacramento County Tax Collector’s Office cannot accept monthly payments. If you have a mortgage company, ask them if they will open an impound or escrow account for your property taxes. They will increase your monthly mortgage payments by an amount to cover the annual secured property taxes. The mortgage company will pay the annual secured tax bill each year by the December 10 and April 10 delinquent dates.  

I am a new home owner, what property taxes do I owe?

Featured in Pay Property Taxes, County of Sacramento

Many tax delinquencies occur during the first year of property ownership. Depending on the date of purchase and the policy of the title company handling the escrow, the annual property taxes are usually prorated in escrow. The first or second installment of the taxes may have been paid or you may have received a credit for the liability that accrued during the time the previous owner owned the property. If you received a credit for the previous owner's portion, you may be responsible for paying the tax bill when it becomes due. If you are unable to determine whether the tax bill installment was paid in escrow, please contact your title company. To find out what tax bills are outstanding, using your 14-digit parcel number please call the Sacramento County Tax Collector's Automated Information Line at (916) 874-6622 or look up your parcel number online. 

When property changes ownership after the start of the fiscal year, July 1st, the annual tax bill may reflect the previous owner's name and mailing address. Although you may have purchased the property after July 1, the annual tax bill may be mailed to the previous owner.  A new tax bill is not mailed to new owners.

When property changes ownership, new owners are informed of their responsibility for the payment of property taxes. The escrow papers regarding the transaction to purchase a property include information and accounting for the property taxes and include a statement as to the new owner’s responsibility for paying the taxes.  In addition, the County Clerk/Recorder includes an insert with all recorded deeds advising new property owners about their responsibility regarding payment of property taxes and advising when annual property taxes are due.  Whenever a residential single family residence property changes ownership through a sales transaction, the Assessor’s Office mails an application for homeowner’s exemption to the new owner, which includes a similar insert advising the new owner about their responsibility regarding payment of property taxes. Both of these inserts advise not to wait for a tax bill. Other tax bills you have not received may be outstanding.  

What property tax assistance is available for Service members?

Featured in Pay Property Taxes, County of Sacramento

The Service members Civil Relief Act provides tax relief to military personnel, including activated reservists, who are being called to serve in the various, ongoing military operations around the world. The types of relief available are: 

  • the postponement of tax payments for activated reservists during their period of active duty, 
  • the reduction in interest and penalty assessments of delinquent taxes, and 
  • the suspension of the required sale of tax-defaulted property. 

At such time in the future, when unpaid assessments are redeemed, the penalties for nonpayment must be recalculated at no more than six percent per annum, with no other penalty or interest incurred. For further information, please contact the State Controller's Office. To apply for tax relief for military personnel in Sacramento County, please contact the Secured Property Tax Unit between 9:00 a.m. and 4:00 p.m. Monday through Friday, excluding holidays at (916) 874-6622.

Where can I find the list of all guidance documents issued by the California Department of Public Health (CDPH)?

Featured in Corona COVID-19 Response, State of California

You can find all the guidance documents issued by CDPH here:

Where can I find daily updates issued by the CDPH?

Featured in Corona COVID-19 Response, State of California

You can follow the daily updates on COVID-19 issued by CDPH here.

What are the symptoms of COVID-19?

Featured in Corona COVID-19 Response, State of California

The most common symptoms of COVID-19 are fever, tiredness, and dry cough. Some patients may have aches and pains, nasal congestion, runny nose, sore throat or diarrhea. These symptoms are usually mild and begin gradually. Some people become infected but don’t develop any symptoms and don't feel unwell.

Most people (about 80%) recover from the disease without needing special treatment. Around 1 out of every 6 people who get COVID-19 becomes seriously ill and develops difficulty breathing. Older people, and those with underlying medical problems like high blood pressure, heart problems or diabetes, are more likely to develop serious illness.

People with fever, cough and difficulty breathing should seek medical attention.

Where can I find more information about all the cases in the US?

Featured in Corona COVID-19 Response, State of California

You can find a detailed map with the spread of the cases here:

What should I do if I am sick?

Featured in Corona COVID-19 Response, State of California

If you think you have been exposed to COVID-19 and develop a fever and symptoms, such as cough or difficulty breathing, call your healthcare provider for medical advice.

You can read more about what the CDC recommends here:

Will a minor need a REAL ID card to board a domestic flight?

Featured in Apply for Real ID, State of California

TSA does not require children (under 18) to provide identification when traveling with a companion within the United States. The companion will need acceptable identification. For a current list, visit TSA’s website at

Is REAL ID mandatory?

Featured in Apply for Real ID, State of California

No. The federal compliant REAL ID driver license or ID card is optional.

If you have a valid U.S. passport or U.S. passport card, military ID, or other federally approved identification, you may use this it as your form of identification to board a domestic flight or enter certain federal facilities after the new federal requirements begin October 1, 2020.  

If you know you will not be boarding a domestic flight or visiting a secure federal facility or military base, you do not need a REAL ID driver license or ID card.

You do not need a REAL ID driver license or ID card to do any of the following:

  • Apply for or receive federal benefits (Veterans Affairs, Social Security Administration, etc.)
  • Enter a post office or other federal facility that does not require identification.
  • Visit a hospital or receive life-saving services
  • Ride Amtrak or other public ground transportation

You will need a REAL ID driver license or ID card if you want to continue using your driver license or ID card to do any of the following:

  • Board a domestic flight starting October 1, 2020.
  • Enter secure federal facilities or military bases starting October 1, 2020. (Note: Check with the federal facility/military base before your visit to verify their identification requirements.)
  • Purchase firearms or ammunition. (Note: Check with the firearms dealer you plan to visit to verify their identification requirements)

Who can register to vote?

Featured in Register to Vote, State of California

To register to vote in California, you must be:

  • A United States citizen and a resident of California
  • 18 years old or older on Election Day
  • Not currently in state or federal prison or on parole for the conviction of a felony
  • Not prohibited from voting by a court because of mental incompetency 

What do I need to register online?

Featured in Register to Vote, State of California

To register online, you will need:

  • Your California driver license or California identification card number,
  • The last four digits of your social security number and
  • Your date of birth.

Your information will be provided to the California Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) to retrieve a copy of your DMV signature.

If you do not have a California driver license or California identification card, you can still use this form to apply to register to vote by completing the online interview by 11:59:59 p.m. Pacific Time on the 15th calendar day before an election.

What are the eligibility requirements to file Unemployment Insurance Claim in the State of California?

Featured in Apply for Unemployment Insurance Claim, State of California

To receive Unemployment Insurance (UI) benefit payments in California, you must meet all eligibility requirements when filing a claim and when certifying for benefits. 

When filing for UI benefits in California, you must have earned enough wages during the base period to establish a claim, and be:

  • Totally or partially unemployed.
  • Unemployed through no fault of your own.
  • Physically able to work.
  • Available for work.
  • Ready and willing to accept work immediately.
  • Actively looking for work.

A base period is a specific 12-month term the EDD uses to see if you earned enough wages to establish a UI claim. 

How much UI claim can I receive in the State of California?

Featured in Apply for Unemployment Insurance Claim, State of California

In the state of California, your weekly UI benefit amount can range from $40 to $450 per week. The California Economic Development Department will verify your eligibility and wage information to determine your weekly benefit amount (WBA).

You can also get an estimate using this UI calculator